Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lomography of the mind

Lomography. Although I have not dabbled in the field, the practice of intentionally using "inferior" cameras as a way to influence your art as a photographer has long interested me. I am referring to such cameras as Polaroids, Lomos, Holgas etc - which have various "handicaps" ranging from the in-body developing of the polaroid to the plastic lenses of the the Holga and Lomo.
The reason it interests me is that the machine, or tool used to create the image becomes an inherant part of the character and content of the image. Like a painter using a wad of tissue instead of a brush, or a sculptor using a shotgun instead of a chisel.


Now, I have said that this interests me - that is not to say that I am an advocate or promotor of the discipline. I am still on the fence as far as this is concerned. Can a musician add to his performance by using an inferior or out of tune instrument? I am not so sure, but then I am not so sure about my analogies, either.
I do not own any of these "toy cameras", as they are often referred to, so how can I experiment with this? Without investing in new equipment that I may not even want in the long-term, I guess I can only work with an inferior head. Yes, you heard me, an inferior head.



"But Edvar, you are a genius." I hear you say... "How can you have an inferior head?". Easy. Alcohol. Shoot photographs while inebriated. Let's call it "Alcoholography".
I predict that this will work much like playing pool. After a beer or two, my game will drastically improve, or at least change. The booze-buzz giving me confidence and a slightly different way of approaching things - less bound by logic and expectation. After another couple of drinks it will quickly degrade into chaos and misery. I just hope I don't break or lose anything.
So watch this space, I will endeavour to start my "project" this weekend.